First Responder organizations are invited to compete in the Jay Shaffer Memorial Cup Challenge – an event honoring Jay Alan Shaffer a Larkspur firefighter who died in the line of duty while attempting the pack test.
- Bring a comfortable backpack weighing the lesser of 30lbs or 15% of your bodyweight.
- Walk or run the 5km course. Top-three times from the team will determine overall standing.
- Agencies with three or more members compete for the Jay Shafer Memorial Cup
- The top three times from the team determine team standing
- First responders may compete without a team as individuals
- This race is for YOU! Entry is free, but shirts are no longer included
- First responders sign up at UltraSignup.com and are placed on a waitlist until eligibility is verified
Larger agencies are encouraged to register multiple teams. Responders include law enforcement, office staff, dispatchers, medical staff and all of the folks that serve to keep the public safe!
The traveling trophy was first held by West Douglas County Fire Department and now resides with Douglas County Search and Rescue.